Over the last decade, BambooHR has steadily grown into a market leader in the SMB and Mid-Market. They provide a modern HRIS solution that covers a wide spectrum of functionality - performance, recruiting, onboarding - at a competitive price point. While Bamboo owns a payroll company, called Trax, many customers will use their own payroll / ben admin tools and use Bamboo for more employee-facing activities. Bamboo is also open to integrating with a variety of 3rd party HR tools
BambooHR is considered an SMB HRIS, which means the system works best for companies with less than 300 employees. SMB solutions are designed to cover some, but not all HR needs with some gaps to be filled in by 3rd party solutions. SMB solutions are typically more user-friendly and more modernly designed than other vendors. Additionally, they are typically built with integrations in mind and have open APIs. SMB solutions typically take about 6-12 weeks to implement and often do not require a great deal of work from an administrator to get started, due to the fact that most of the system is not configurable. SMB solutions tend to have limited rules engines and custom workflow tools, which can limit how scalable they can be.
BambooHR charges companies on an monthly or quarterly subscription basis. BambooHR is often a good value for companies and the software fees can cost between $6 and 12 PEPM.
In addition to the software fees, implementing BambooHR will require a one-time implementation fee. BambooHR will charge ~5-15% of the annual software fees for their implementation fees (i.e., $5-15K implementation fee on a $100K annual purchase)
- BambooHR is a very user-friendly HRIS with a broad range of modules, all offered a very competitive price
- BambooHR invests quite a bit into their support teams and user reviews for their customers support are some of the highest in the industry
- BambooHR recently bought TraxPayroll, an established national payroll company, to give them a robust payroll offering in their platform.
- For companies that want to bring in their own 3rd party HR tools, Bamboo offers a pre-built integrations with many leading 3rd party tools
- Bamboo is more of an off-the-shelf solution designed for SMB’s, so it’s quick to deploy and easy to set up, but there can be limitations in how customizable the system can be
- BambooHR does not offer a ben admin tool, so a 3rd party system would be required to complete the suite
- The rollout of BambooHR’s new payroll system is still in its early stages, so it is a bit unproven now and the two systems are not fully integrated. However, Trax was a large national brand before the acquisition
- Some modules within Bamboo, like their performance and time & attendance tools, are fairly basic and don’t allow for a great deal of flexibility and customization. However, Bamboo has many integration partners if customers need something more robust
BambooHR has always prioritized integrations with 3rd party systems, giving their clients the choice between all-in-one and best-in-class. Bamboo has marketplace integrations with many leading HR point solutions. However, custom integrations are not always the easiest to build with Bamboo, due to their lack of professional services resources
BambooHR can serve as a global system-of-record allowing international employees to onboard, complete performance reviews and manage leave in the system. Bamboo works with a large number of global companies. Bamboo does not have global offices, however. And global payroll requires a 3rd party
- HR / Employee Files
- Time & Attendance (limited)